Friday, February 19, 2010

Indoor Pulled Pork

My Valentine chose this recipe as his Valentine’s day dinner… too bad this time consuming and complicated recipe wasn’t ready until lunchtime on the 15th. According to him it was worth the wait: in fact he thinks I should make a batch every week.

I will never flinch at the cost of a pulled pork sandwich. Whatever they want, it is worth it. This recipe was the most work of any recipe I have done so far. First of all, finding a pork butt (which is actually a shoulder) is not as easy and you might think. Then the brining and the rubbing and the more rubbing then the wrapping and the covering and the cooking for 3 hours… then cook another hour and a half… this recipe was a major PITA.

That being said, the end result was amazing. Both delicious and copious, it was one of those things, and it has only happened to me a few times, that when you taste it you can’t believe you made something that tastes so damn good. Shockingly authentic, I would never have believed this pulled pork could have been made in a Manhattan apartment kitchen (and it did push the limits of my kitchen at moments during the preparation).

I paired this recipe with Cook’s creamy coleslaw recipe and it was a great compliment. Having grown up on KFC coleslaw I had to add a tablespoon of sugar to the mix to take the bite out.

Take away

  • Liquid smoke=liquid magic

  • Sweet and hot go together for perfection again this week. The barbeque sauce combines molasses and hot sauce to create a similar balance to the sugar and chili combination in the Thai Basil Chicken a couple of weeks ago. Yum.

  • Whole Foods came through for me this week with almost every ingredient (they were out of smoked paprika). I am in the love phase of the love-hate relationship I have with them. 


2 comments:

  1. So happy to see your new posts! I was waiting with baited breath and hadn't checked in a while. Keep them coming~ Pulled pork is amazing the rub we sent at Christmas is really good to use on pork shoulder too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK just checked on the saying baited breath and it is supposed to be "bated" breath. Either way I was waiting anxiously for posts.

    ReplyDelete