Sunday, January 10, 2010

Red Beans and Rice Day 1

Saturday was another long run and prep day for the week’s recipe. Though I tried to plan ahead a little bit better this time, the hunt for the final ingredients proved to be a challenge that required me to broaden my knowledge of Manhattan markets, and visit 4 stores to cross the last item off my list.

In many ways yesterday was a redux of the previous Saturday with a few differences. Rather than being underdressed for my long run I was slightly overdressed (which is definitely preferable). The temperature was about the same, mid 20’s, but the snow flurries were replaced by the sun beating down on me brightly.

I did some preplanning to avoid the same ingredient fiasco that I had last week. I ordered most of the ingredients from freshdirect.com, then I planned my run to end at Columbus circle where I could shop at the Whole Foods to get the last 2 items: small or Mexican red beans and tasso (cajun ham). I had a gorgeous run around the length of Central Park then found my way to Whole Foods in the basement of Time Warner center. First, no tasso and no idea where to find it. Second, a PATHETIC selection of dried beans. They literally had 4 varieties of dried beans! I must point out that they did have dried Cannellini beans (though 12 oz for $4 seems ridiculous) as well as canned.

I knew I could get tasso at Murray’s Real Salami in Grand Central Station Market. I had posted that I was looking for it on chowhound.com’s Manhattan board and several people replied. I knew I wouldn’t be able to find the beans there though, thus the preemptive trip to Whole Foods. So, over to Murray’s and wow – the market in Grand Central is really wonderful. Several vendors had pancetta (which is more readily available than I thought – you can even order it on freshdirect.com), there is wonderful produce, meat, cheese, spices, baked goods and prepared foods. The best part is that it is within a 5 minute walk of my office so I can stop by on my lunch break.

It was a wonderful feeling to walk up to the counter at Murray’s see the gorgeous tasso.




There was no line. The guy that helped me was very nice and asked me what I was going to use the tasso for. I must admit it did make me feel like a bit of a foodie to be buying tasso at Murray’s and telling the guy it was for red beans and rice. The recipe says you can substitute bacon, so going out of one’s way to find tasso does begin to enter the realm of being a foodie – though I would not presume the title.

The beans were another story. None of the merchants in the GCS market had them, and neither did one of the standard manhattan grocery store chains—Morton Williams. As a last resort I stopped in the Gristede’s nearest my house and… bingo! Of course, the place I least suspected and the closest to home would have it!

Next time I’m going straight to Dean and Delucca in Soho for any specialty ingredients. More than one person has recommended it and it is on the closest subway line. In addition, I think I have only been there once and anyone learning to cook who lives near by should check it out.

The beans are now brined and it's time to start chopping. Results coming soon.

Take away

  • Sometimes what you’re searching for is right in front of you; don’t make things more complicated than they are.

  • Whole foods is over-rated and over-priced.

  • Wear layers. 25 degrees feels much warmer inland with the sun shining than it does along the river with snow flurries. 

For further investigation

  • Multiple recommendations have peaked my interest in Dean and Deluca’s. I must scope the place out this week. Could it possibly be the answer? One-stop shopping for my specialty ingredients without having to transfer or cross town?

8 comments:

  1. I felt like a foodie today because it was too cold to go shopping so I dug around in my cupboard and realized I had everything on hand to make lentils in my crockpot. :) It felt good!

    I shop at GCD a lot because A gets a discount and free stuff since he works there. Penzeys is good for spices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always forget about Grand Central Market.
    It's actually the closet thing I have to a grocery store near me. I am crippled by FreshDirect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy -- Penzey's looks amazing! If I ever need an obscure spice it will be my first stop. It is really a unique market for having such a variety of specialty shops so close together. And for the size of each shop the selections they have are amazing. Lucky you get a discount!

    Elizabeth -- I know what you mean about being crippled by fresh direct! I am the same. Our diet has been shaped by their limited selection. I do like some of the recipes they have though. It's nice to be able to add all the ingredients to your cart with one click.

    Another place I want to check out for spices, beans, and other basics and well as Indian and Middle Eastern imports is Kalustyan and the other shops in Curry Hill around Lexington and 26th-28th. I used to shop there when I lived on 34th and they have really good prices and selection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kalyustan's is the best for dried beans. They carry a huge selection, including weird non-Eastern ones like turtle and adzuki(from my very brief Deborah Madison vegetarian cooking phase).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cheryl! What did you use the Adzuki beans for? I actually bought some at Health Nuts thinking they might work for this recipe, but then I read about them and realized they are the sweet flavored beans used for the red bean desserts in Japanese cooking. Anyway I'm looking for something to do with these now in the dessert area. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny thing too... I was going to stop at Kalyustan's on my way home from GCS but I got on the express bus instead of the local and didn't feel like walking 5 blocks in the opposite direction of home... fortunately Gristede's had them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, maybe the Adzukis were from Health Nuts. If I remember they are also used a lot in macrobiotic cooking (had to google them at the time). The turtles were definitely from Kalyustans, and I've also gotten a cabinet full of spices from there. I'll have to look up the adzuki recipe -- it was back before Kate was born, when I still had some brainpower to think about things like soaking beans in advance : )

    ReplyDelete