Sunday, January 10, 2010

Red Beans and Rice: Not Just for Mardi Gras Anymore

Red beans and rice take some time to make but not a lot of work. It’s definitely one of my new favorite recipes. Next time I make it, you’re invited if you bring the beer.

I’m sure I’ve had Cajun style red beans and rice before, I just can’t remember when exactly. I’m sure at a couple of mardi gras parties along side the beignets and jambalaya over the years. I guess it has just never been that memorable a dish for me. Well, that has changed. This is a new favorite. My only regrets are that I didn’t have a house full of friends to share it with and beer to wash it down. Also beignets. I wish I had made beignets for dessert. I have a very vivid memory of making them with my friend Rachael years ago for a Mardi Gras potluck. Neither of us knew much about cooking, at it was the dish with the fewest ingredients so that’s what we made.




This recipe does take a while but most of the time is spent chopping vegetable and letting it cook. It’s not complicated or difficult but it is so, so flavorful and filling especially on a cold day. I probably should have saved this recipe to make on Mardi Gras, but my mildly compulsive tendency is to do the recipes in order. It is also traditionally eaten on Monday, using the ham left over from Sunday dinner. We will be eating the leftovers tomorrow and I’m betting it will taste even better.

I highly recommend this recipe as is, and with the tasso rather than bacon if you can find it. Call around. It’s worth it.


Take away

  • Turn on gas burners or light a candle while chopping onions to prevent eye irritation. Works like magic.

  • Freeze bacon (or tasso) for 15 minutes to make it easier to chop.


  • Always consider beverages and the social context. Some dishes are simply meant to be served to groups of friends with beer. This is one of them.

  • Northerners shouldn’t only eat Cajun food during Mardi Gras.

For further investigation

  • I think the tasso is an important ingredient but I noticed Emeril Lagasse’s version does not use tasso, nor does Paul Prudhomme’s. This makes me wonder if that is because it is just not commonly available or if there is another reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment